I found this recipe in the Sept/Oct issue of Clean Eating magazine and got really excited to make it!
Zucchini Apple Bread
– Olive oil cooking spray
– 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
– 1/4 cup spelt flour
– 2tsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 1/2 tbsp cinnamon, ground
– 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
– 1 apple, grated
– 1 zucchini, grated
– 1 egg
– 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek-style yogurt
– 1/4 cup raw honey
1. Preheat oven to 350degrees F. Mist an 8×4 in or 9×5 in loaf pan with cooking spray.
2. In large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together apple, zucchini, egg, yogurt and honey.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and fold until just combined. Spread batter into prepared pan and bake until golden brown, 40-45 minutes.
I used normal pam instead of olive oil in the pan because I was doing so many things at once during Sunday food prep and wanted a shortcut.
My friend Carla was over for bookclub and she tried a piece and promised she liked it. Then the boyfriend tried it and actually liked it so I decided to bring it into work for the coworkers. Out at 9am gone by 11am. Not bad!
I find it sweet with the apple and honey. The whole wheat flour and greek yogurt definitely make it a little heavy. It doesn’t rise as well as other non clean versions. All in all it gets 2 thumbs up and I’ll definitely make it again!