I’ve shared what my morning and evening healthy habits look like before on the blog. Many are based on what I view as self-care but I was inspired by Kris Carr’s Self Care blog post so here is my latest version of what self-care looks like to me and what it doesn’t.
What self-care looks like for me:
- Getting 3 Obstacle Racing (OCR) focused workouts per week
- Going to yoga once a week
- Getting outside for one run or hike once a week
- Sharing 3 things I’m grateful for each day with my boyfriend before we go to sleep
- Now that I’m back in Ottawa being able to make time for dinners with my family
- Listening to Headspace guided meditations before going to sleep
- Learning to have a conscious meditation practise to start my day
- Making juice & smoothies for snacks throughout my day
- Taking time on Sunday evening to meal prep for the week or ordering a meal delivery service if I’m too busy and have a different focus on the weekend
- Making appointments for massages or acupuncture to decrease stress
- Epsom salt baths with essential oils (my favourites are doTERRA lavender & frankincense)
- Bedtime by 9 pm
- Wake up at 5 am to get in a workout, or spend time writing or working on my book
What self-care is not:
- Looking at my email every time it pings
- Saying yes to things just so I don’t upset someone
- Forcing myself to the gym to do weight workouts just to have a pretty body
- Drinking when stressed. Instead choosing to celebrate events or a great week with a glass of red wine.
- Adding something to my plate without taking something away
- Feeling bad for putting yourself first so you can have more energy and be there for your family and friends
Homework: Make a list of things you want to start doing for yourself and map out what time of day you think you can fit them in. Start this week with one new self-care practice and try doing it Weds, Thurs & Friday! Let me know how it goes in the blog comments below!