I truly believe you can have everything you want but that you can’t work on it all at once. I’m very much an alpha female because I like to go, go, go, all the time but I’ve found that I need to channel my energy into all the different goals and achievements that I want at various times. It can’t be all at once. When I wrote my book, I had to take my peak time in order to write when I am able to channel my most positive energy.
Also as an alpha female I tend to be very passionate about whatever I’m into and I can have tunnel vision where I’m just one track mind and that’s all I’m thinking about until I complete that task. That is a good and the bad thing when you have relationships to think about. What I’ve discovered is you need to be able to work hard, schedule your work/goal time but take your time off to spend on your relationships and the other things in your life because all work and no play makes Linda have terrible relationships! LOL.
No really, what I found is if you’re all work and no play you get burnt out and you don’t have a full cup any more, you have nothing to draw on to give to others. So I believe in life balance. So what I do is, I set my goals then I decide what I want to do and I look at the timeline of when I want to do them and what my intentions are. You know like such as what are my priorities and do they align with what I’m doing and when I’m doing them. When I make a decision such as if I’m going to do a Spartan race I’ve learned I don’t want it to be too close to a fitness competition because I need to have fuel for the race or if I am going to write I have to have ample time to write down my ideas and my thoughts and create in my quiet space with a little music.
What are you passionate about?
I worked in the gym as a group fitness director and personal trainer for a good 25 years and I really started feeling in my heart that I wanted to do something worthwhile that made real lasting changes in peoples lives. So I went in a new direction. My mission is women and I’m completely all about them and I really always have been, I think I just didn’t realize the magnitude of what I wanted to do. I opened my own studio, The Chickfit Studio and then after being open for awhile I decided to write a book and it really evolved into “The Sisterhood of SWEAT.” The book and the studio are all about helping women build confidence and self esteem and learning to feel one hundred percent great about themselves.
I have a heart and a mission for women because my life hasn’t always been easy. I was severely molested when I was eight years old by a close family member and it really affected my life. I believe it created a whole chain of events, one of which I was in a physically abusive relationship. If it wasn’t for God almighty and fitness and my friends (especially my best friend Kate) I would’ve never pulled through it. I was really down-trodden. So I’ve got to say my heart is for women. I don’t want to see them being controlled, manipulated, or trampled underfoot. I want them to realize that they are worth investing in themselves and going to the gym to me is a very healthy investment. It helps to make you strong, mentally, physically, and spiritually. It’s the three in one just like they say mind, body, and spirit. If I wouldn’t of have had that I would’ve never made it to where I am right now. If I can help just one woman it’s worth it to me. Of course, I want to help a whole lot more then that. I want to give back because I could not even be here today, that is how severe the physical abuse I suffered from. If I can help one woman to be empowered enough to leave a situation like that, or to stand up for herself from being trampled underneath someones feet, its worth it to me.
What are some daily health habits to keep your immune system boosted?
1. I start with my diet because I believe you are what you eat. I try to eat every 3 to 4 hours, very clean non-processed foods, free of sugar, gluten, and dairy.
2. I eat lean organic-free-range meats free of hormones preservatives and antibiotics
3. 5 to 10 cups of leafy green vegetables a day.
4. organic fruit daily
5. I don’t eliminate food groups I have clean carbohydrates on a regular basis.
6. I drink a gallon of water every day to stay hydrated
7. I went to my doctor and received a blood test and a tissue mineral analysis to decide what supplements my body needed.
8. I believe all health starts in your gut so as a preventative I take Dr. Ohira’s probiotics because they help you to create your own natural flora and kill bacteria up to 6 times stronger. I also take HCl with my heavier meals, because after the age of 40 you don’t create as much digestive juices. HCl is something that your body naturally makes but it diminishes as you age. I am also a big believer in all natural ACV with the mother in it and I take it with tart cherry juice and CALM at night to help me sleep, keep my joints healthy, and eliminate regularly .This all-natural sleepy night cocktail recipe is in my book The Sisterhood of Sweat. Because I work out a lot I take curcumin for inflammation or sprinkle my food with turmeric. I am also a big believer in natural oils and good fats such as; of avocado, flax, coconut, almond, walnut and MCT Oil, etc for brain, joints and hormonal heath. Eating good fats help satiate your appetite, curb cravings, balance hormones, and take out the bad fat.
What’s your weekly fitness routine like?
I weight train four to five days a week: two days of functional training and 5 days of Cardio. I do a mixture of Hill Sprints, Bleachers, Wind Sprints, Running, Boxing or Kangoo and one hour of hot yoga.