So in my goal planning process this year I wanted to share with you a little bit more around the steps that I use to goal set. And give you a little more insight into my Goal Digger Workbook, that I give away for free to all my dōTERRA Customers. It’s been my goal setting method for a few years now and helps me get aligned to how I want to feel as I move towards accomplishing goals.
This year, heading into the new year, here are the steps I take to develop my annual, category & monthly goals:
Goal Setting Steps
- First I look back on 2018. I write down all my accomplishments from the year including goals achieved and my favourite moments.
- I then write down what went well in 2018; from habits established to new goals that flowed into my life.
- Then I write down what didn’t go well in 2018; from
goalsI didn’t achieve to habits I couldn’t keep or make.
- Then I summarize the year with the overall lessons that I learned from 2018.
- Then I move onto my life category audit. I rank how I think I did in each category from 1 – 10. The categories range from career to finance to leisure to health and more. I also avoid using the number 7 as I read somewhere that it’s not really committing to it being bad or good. I rank things either an 8 or above or a 6 and lower to really differentiate between what’s going well and what I want to improve.
- From there I re-look at my core desired feelings and how I want to feel in the categories that I scored the lowest in and how I felt when accomplishing things from the categories I scored the highest in. This allowed me to truly see how I want to feel and how I lived in my core desired feelings this year.
- This year I was inspired to write down 10 dreams for 10 years, which I shared on the blog last week. I did this so that I could start dreaming bigger than I had before and working in a larger time frame than just annual goals and life category goals.
- The fun then started as I began to reverse engineer the 10 dreams. I wrote down absolutely everything I would need to do to accomplish each dream. This will help me plug in tasks within the year towards the larger goals.
- From there I take a calendar and mark down the new moons and the full moons. My period happens on the new moon and I ovulate on the full moon so I want to plan my year so that I’m resting during my bleed and executing things in my masculine energy during full moons. I’ve been talking a lot on Instagram Story about menstrual cycle awareness but haven’t mentioned it yet on the blog. Stay tuned for a book review on Wild Power that really inspired me to start incorporating this into planning.
- Finally, I map out things on the calendar that have specific dates.
- Then, I write down 1 (or more) Category Goal(s) for each of my life c
ategorieswhich brings us to today’s post….
I’ll share tomorrow how I break down Category Goals into Monthly Goals which I’ve never done on the blog before, only in my planner and scrap paper planning ways. Hopefully this serves you in dreaming up goals for 2019 too!
- Stick to a budget which includes monthly RRSP & TFSA contribution and debt pay down.
Career & Side Hustle Goals
- Become a Gold Leader in dōTERRA
- Start an Autoimmune company that hosts retreats for those with an AI diagnosis
- Start a non-profit that provides bursaries or scholarships to those with an AI diagnosis who need help to treat themselves holistically
- Continue marketing & selling my Organized Brides online course
- In 2018, my functional medicine doctor discovered that I have an Estrogen Dominance. Based on meetings with several practitioners we also found my liver needs extra support to detox and metabolize estrogen and other things
.My goal over the first half of the year is to regulate my hormones and support my liver to the best of my ability.
- Last year I wanted to be consistent with taking my supplements. I was able to do that. Now that my habit has been created and I don’t struggle with this I yearn for a more stable movement routine. In January I’ll start out with 3 weight workouts a week, 1 yoga practice a week and 1 basement bike ride.
- Yoga Teacher Training in Bali in February
- Train for the Ride to Conquer Cancer in June
- Train for MEC Race One & Two – 9K July 7 and 20K August 11
- Move 7 Days a Week, even if that means just going for a walk
- I have meal planning and prepping down pat. The only goal I want to accomplish this year is continuing to bring in variety into my meals. So I’ve set the goal to try one new recipe a week when meal prepping on Sunday nights.
- I also want to try seed cycling and bringing in different seeds based on my menstrual cycle phase to support my hormone regulation.
- My husband bought me a trip to Bali for Yoga Teacher Training as our wedding present. It’s something I’ve always considered going to but would never take the time off work to go and do myself. So I’m heading there in February.
- In March, depending on our budget and my vacation time at work I’ll be off to dōTERRA Leadership in San Diego and we’re planning a trip to Utah before or after dōTERRA’s September Convention in September. That’ll be 3 amazing trips this year!
- I still have a goal to decorate the Guest Bedroom. Mike made me shelves this year so I have to sand them and stain them and then hang them before I can order prints to complement the wall they are going on. I’ll update the sheets for the bed and voila that room will be complete and I’ll feel better about asking people to come visit us!
- Two ways that I
honourmy relationship with God and get in touch with my spiritual side is my morning meditation practice. I’ve also had on the goals wish list for a while now an evening devotional practice. Currently, my devotional is hidden in my side table. So I’m going to put it on top of my side table in hopes that the visual cue will help me stick to this goal.
- Even if we weren’t newlyweds, I’d have this as a goal. It’s been on my goal list for a few years now as I truly believe the Weekly Date Night is key to the success of our relationship. This year I may try to theme them a bit better, so one week we have a fun date night, then a more romantic one and then an adventure one 🙂
- I love the Female Friendships I’ve developed in Ottawa over the past 2 years with conscious effort. One of my 2019 themes is to make space in my life, so while I’ve truly focused on always saying yes to coffee dates, etc. I will be limiting my female friendship dates to 1 – 2 times a month if it’s outside the fitness arena. Yoga, gym or hiking dates will be unlimited 🙂
- I’m almost finished Present Over Perfect on Audible so that will be the first book I finish in the new year and then I also started Get Over Your Damn Self on Audible. I have Sacred Marriga on my bedside table and try and read one chapter a week. I got early copies of Close Your Eyes, Get Free and The Perfection Detox so I’ll start those next. I also got sent a copy of Are u ok? to review so I’ll add that to the reading list next.
- I wrote 2 blogs a week in 2018 and that frequency felt really good. I’ll continue the tradition this year but move them to Tuesday and Thursday publishes vs. Monday & Wednesday since I don’t have any podcast show notes being published on Friday anymore at the beginning of the year.
- I love creating my Winter & Summer Bucket Lists and can’t wait to accomplish the 2019 Winter one and then later this summer create another fun one. I’ve got Winter Camping scheduled for January, we’ll try out a new skating trail for a date night and I’ve booked a cute cabin in March for a cozy cabin weekend. We had so much fun doing canoe trips this year so I want to make sure we have a summer one and a fall one on the schedule for 2019. Bucket list planning is off to a great start.
- I also want to learn how to hunt in 2019. I have hesitated talking about this publicly as it’s a heated subject in society but it’s something I’m excited to learn.
Stay tuned tomorrow, I’ll share how I then map everything out monthly so I only have 3 new monthly goals to focus on.